First Baptist Church of Pinehurst
Newsletter – November 2017
Daylight Saving Time Ends Sunday, November 5 – Set your clocks back one hour
NC Baptist Children’s Homes Offering
During the month of November, the Baptist State Convention emphasizes the Baptist Children’s Homes of North Carolina. If you would like to help support these children, there are envelopes available in the back pockets of the sanctuary chairs.
Does the Thought Count?
Luke 10:33-34 “But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him; he took pity on him. He went to him.”
As we discover the whole new thing that God has provided through Jesus Christ, I pray all our eyes continue to be opened to all people; people we know little about; even our enemy or those we find we hold some level of prejudice. Loving one another occurs when, like the “Good Samaritan,” we have the eyes to see. Seeing the needs of others as followers of Christ, and many non-Christians, moves us to compassion. The Samaritan saw and took pity. Repeatedly Jesus saw needs and was moved to compassion. But the story doesn’t stop with a thought as if “it’s the thought that counts.” There is practical action, “He went to him.” Putting feet to God given compassion is the evidence of the love of God working in us and through us. This is a season of thanksgiving. What better way is their to express our love and thanks to the Father then to love by going, loving, forgiving, serving and meeting the needs of others. I’m confident these principles are in the Bible. Aren’t you? And, I’m just as confident it is not only the thought that counts. PS. Thank you all for blessing Suzanne and me with acts of appreciation. We are so blessed to be with you. From Pastor Charles
Baptismal SeRvice – Sunday, November 5 – 11:00 Worship Service
A new tradition has been started at First Baptist Church of Pinehurst to celebrate in a special way, decisions to follow Christ and Baptisms. Sunday, November 5 Charlotte Pearson and Brock Wood will be baptized during the 11:00 worship service. Following the 8:30 service we would like to celebrate with Charlotte and Brock and their family with a Spiritual Birthday party. The party will be from 9:30-10:00 before going to our Sunday school classes. If anyone would like to write Charlotte and Brock a note of encouragement, please bring those to the party. We will have coffee, juice and donuts to share. Please plan to be here for this great celebration of what God is doing here at FBC of Pinehurst.
Focus Group Meetings
The Stewardship Committee will be holding Focus Group Meetings Wednesday, November 8, and Wednesday, November 15, 2017 from 6:30 to 7:30 pm. These meetings will be held to answer any questions you may have about the proposed 2018 Church Budget. We will meet in Betty Overby’s Sunday school classroom.
Operation Christmas Child Processing Center Volunteers
Please sign up now if you would like to volunteer at the processing center in Charlotte Tuesday, November 21. The bus will leave the church at 7:30 a.m. and return around 5:00 p.m. The sign-up sheet is on the bulletin board outside the church office. (OCC guidelines state that all volunteers must be at least 13 years of age.)
- Children’s Council Meeting/Covered-dish Luncheon- November 5 – Noon – Fellowship Hall
- High School Mystery Trip – November 11 – 5:00-10:00 p.m. – Cost is $25
- More Information (clues) will be given during Sunday school October 29 and November 5.
- Middle School Mystery Trip – November 18 – 5:00-10:00 p.m. – Cost is $25
- More Information (clues) will be given during Sunday school October 29, November 5 and 12.
- High School Morning Bible Study – Every Thursday Mornings – 7:50-8:40 a.m. – The Roast Office in Pinehurst – All high school students are welcome
Amy and I would like to say a huge thank you for all the cards and gifts sent to our family during the month of October for Pastor Appreciation. We are truly blessed to be a part of a wonderful church family. It is an honor to serve God at FBC of Pinehurst with each of you. I am amazed everyday by God’s presence and provision that he pours into my life. I would not want to be anywhere else in the world. Please continue to pray for the future of our church as we transition into new opportunities to work and serve. Pray for our Pulpit Committee as they continue to hear God speak and work through their lives to grow God’s kingdom here and to hire a new Pastor. I am excited to experience God with each of you during this time and look forward to seeing God’s plan unfold here. Thank you again for loving me and my family!
Kevin Garner, Youth Minister
From Jesse Davis, Music Director
Even before November has arrived, the presence of Canadian air has invaded the Sandhills of North Carolina. The change of seasons reminds me of God’s creative power. He set into motion this entire universe, and it runs like a master clock. He also set into motion a plan for our salvation from before the beginning of this world. Even though humanity seeks to change the gospel, making it ever more complex, or simply trying to discard our very need for a Savior, the truth remains the same. 500 years ago today, Martin Luther nailed 95 Thesis to a church door in Germany setting into motion the Reformation. The simple truth of the Gospel had radically transformed Luther, and he courageously stood up to the corrupt human inventions that defined the Catholic Church for a thousand years! Just as this week a single cold front from Canada has quickly swept away the humid stickiness of summer-like air, a single verse of Scripture on faith reset the course of Christianity back to its source of inspiration: God’s Word. Romans 1:17 is the verse and I will include verse 16 for context, For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”
Important dates for November are as follows:
- November 10 at 10:00 am – Senior trip to Selma to Rudy Theatre Down Home Christmas Jubilee
- November 5 and November 19 at 5:15 pm – Ladies Ensemble Practice
- Sundays-Youth Praise Team-4:30 pm
- Sundays-Kids Christmas Play Practice-6:00 pm
- Wednesdays-Praise Team Practice-6:00 pm
- Wednesdays-Sanctuary Choir Practice-7:30 pm
Enjoy the changing seasons and remember the changeless God that we serve with our hearts, souls and minds, who has promised to never leave or forsake us as we seek to obey His commands and accomplish His plans for our lives. Be blessed in Christ,
Jesse Davis, Music Director
We would like to extend our Christian sympathy to Todd & Angie Kantor and family in the loss of Angie’s father.
Welcome to our Newest Members
Anna Bear, daughter of Ray & Maria Bear (by profession of faith)**Brock Wood, son of Brandon & Leah Wood (by profession of faith)
Children’s Extended Session Schedule:
- 8:30 Service – Kay & Blake Miller
- 11:00 Service – Cristy, Jordan & Emma Hunt
- 8:30 Service – Caroline & Annie Stroupe
- 11:00 Service – Dan & Harper Senff
- 8:30 Service – Golden Wen & Levi Bear
- 11:00 Service – Paige & Ainslee Wolters
- 8:30 Service – Dale & Michele Fitzgerald
- 11:00 Service – Michele Fitzgerald, Abbey Perry
Nursery Schedule Sunday Mornings:
- 8:30 Service – Stephanie Thomas, Paulette Chisesi, Paige Wolters, Leah Wood
- 11:00 Service – Stacey, Kendall & Caroline Hilliard, Kay Miller
- 8:30 Service – Cristy, Jordan & Emma Hunt, Amy Harris
- 11:00 Service – Aaron & Ami Denton, Glen Cronrath, Lori Staples
- 8:30 Service – Maria & Caidy Bear, Keith McDonald, Elaine Adams
- 11:00 Service – Marsha & Anna Apke, Patsy Peele Lindsay Riney
- 8:30 Service – Aaron & Ami Denton, Pat Rush, Lesley Vanaman
- 11:00 Service – Doug, Beth, Grace & Abbey Perry
Nursery Schedule Sunday Evenings:
- November 05 – Claire Ford
- November 12 – Leah Wood
- November 19 – Caroline Stroupe
- November 26 – No Evening Activities
Nursery Schedule Wednesday Evenings:
- November 01 – Becky Strickland, Stephanie Thomas
- November 08 – Grace Perry, Amy Garner
- November 15 – Golden Wen, Paige Wolter
- November 22 – No Evening Activities
- November 29 – Leah Wood, Amanda Senff
Wednesday Night Fellowship Meal – November Menus
- November 01 BBQ, Baked Beans, Coleslaw, Dessert
- November 08 Operation Christmas Child Meal: Spaghetti w/Meat Sauce, Salad, Desserts (Provided by WMU)
- November 15 Traditional Thanksgiving Meal: Turkey, Dressing, Sweet Potato Casserole, Layered Salad, Dessert
- November 22 No Meal – Happy Thanksgiving!
- November 29 No Meal – 5th Wednesday