First Baptist Church of Pinehurst
Newsletter – February 2018
Super Bowl Sunday – February 4 – All Sunday evening activities will begin at 5:00 p.m.
Each day Jesus was teaching at the temple, and each evening he went out to spend the night on the hill called the Mount of Olives, and all the people came early in the morning to hear him at the temple. Luke 21:37-38 NIV
What do you suppose Jesus did on the hill called the Mount of Olives? In the light of previous passages you might believe that he spoke with God. …Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. Luke 5:16 NIV
In Luke 22 it implies the Mount of Olives was a regular place of prayer. Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed. Luke 22:39-41 NIV
Imagine a life where you would speak out of your time with God. So, you spend time talking with God, listening and speaking. He would agree you had talked with him because you applied what you talked about; you would obey. And then, on top of all that, you spoke to others keeping in mind (because it is on your mind) your conversations with God, as you talked about God’s impact on your life and his ways. This makes sense, right?
I have been encouraged by those of you who are reading through the Bible with me. Your testimonies about your discoveries, the relationship between spouse and friends that have been enhanced, the usefulness in making daily decisions…You are speaking out of your time with God as you are praising him and blessing me (hopefully others). All this leads me to conclude that spending time with God, listening to him speak to you and into the circumstances of your life, makes a remarkable difference. It is something worthy of sacrificing your time and sharing with others.
I am excited about your journey. Let’s keep reading and listening, shall we?
From Charles Royal
Acteens “Heck-Jones Offering Coffee Cart & Coffee Bar”
During the month of February, the Acteens will be hosting a Coffee Cart & Coffee Bar in support of the WMU NC Heck-Jones Offering. This offering helps support the missions and ministries through WMU NC.
- Sunday, February 4, 11, 25 (between 8:30 service and Sunday school), the Acteens will host a Coffee Cart in the Acteens Room.
- Sunday, February 18 the Acteens will host a Coffee Bar in the Fellowship Hall for Women’s Sunday.
Please join us for coffee and thank you for supporting the Heck-Jones Offering and the missions and ministries of WMU NC.
Sunday, February 11 at the 11:00 worship service there will be a baptismal service. To continue our new tradition of a special celebration for baptisms and decisions to follow Christ, we would like to celebrate with Ella and Jack Portnoy and their family with a Spiritual Birthday Party in the Fellowship Hall following the 8:30 worship service from 9:30-10:00 a.m. There will be coffee, juice and donuts to share. If anyone would like to write Ella and Jack a note of encouragement, please bring those to the party. Please plan to be here for this great celebration of what God is doing in the life of our church.
There will be a men’s bonfire Friday, February 16 at the church from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. There will be a devotional along with singing and a great time of fellowship. Beverages will be provided.
RA’s & GA’s Pinewood Derby/Chili Supper
The RA’s and GA’s will be having their annual Pinewood Derby Saturday, February 17 in the Fellowship Hall at 4:00 p.m. Everyone is invited to come and bring their favorite pot of soup or chili to share. The race will begin at 4:00 followed by the meal. Come cheer on your favorite racer and enjoy a great meal.
Baptist Women’s Day
First Baptist Church of Pinehurst will celebrate its annual Women’s Day on Sunday, February 18 with the ladies leading the services. All women of the church are invited to attend a light breakfast in the Fellowship Hall between services from 9:45-10:45 a.m. Please see the bulletin insert to sign up for the breakfast.
West Virginia Mission Trip
For anyone who would like more information on our planned trip April 2-6 to Mallory, West Virginia, there will be a meeting Wednesday, February 21 at 7:30 p.m. There will be discussion of plans, projects and fundraising opportunities. The trip sign-up sheet is on the bulletin board outside the church office.
Mother-Daughter Retreat – February 23-24
The Sandhills Baptist Association will be hosting “Treasures of the Heart”, a Mother-Daughter Retreat Friday, February 23 from 6:30pm to 9:00pm and Saturday, February 24 from 8:00am to 12:30pm. (Breakfast will be provided Saturday morning.) Retreat activities will include breakout sessions, photo booth fun, fellowship time, door prizes, how to grow in Christ individually and how to enhance your mother-daughter relationship.
First Baptist Church of Pinehurst will be the host facility, and guest speaker Tara Furman, of Knowing God Ministries, will be delivering a message. The event is for mothers and their daughters, grades 6-12. Registration is $10 per person. To register for this event, please sign up on the WMU bulletin board. For more information, please contact Ruth Todd at 910-315-1430.
Welcome to Our Newest Members
Beverly Bean*Tom & Sherry Brown*Barry & Marilyn Wilson and son Davis*Ella and Jack Portnoy (by profession of faith), children of Sam & Brittany Portnoy
Youth Ski Trip – February 2-4
A group of 32 youth and adults will be traveling to Beckley, West Virginia for a weekend of snow skiing, music and worship. They will leave the church Friday at 3:30 p.m. and return Sunday around 4:30 p.m. Please pray for safe travel and a great weekend.
High School Bible Study – Friday Mornings – Panera Bread – 7:45 a.m.
Save The Date
- Youth Fundraising Auction – April 28
- Men’s Caswell Retreat – May 4-6
- Vacation Bible School – June 18-21
- Youth Caswell Trip – July 16-21
- Camp Caraway – August 6-10 (for 4th – 6th graders)
2018 is off to an exciting start! There are many wonderful opportunities to come. Now would be a great time to find the place that God can be glorified through your talents at First Baptist. The Sanctuary Choir begins preparing for our celebration of Christ’s resurrection. The Ladies Ensemble will be singing this month on WMU Sunday. The Youth Praise Team starts back, and the children are preparing a special Easter play. There are additional opportunities to serve with our Homebound ministries (contact me or Belinda Pope). Here is the upcoming schedule:
- Ladies Ensemble practice – 4:15 p.m.
- Children’s play practice – 5:00 p.m. – CANCELLED for February 4 (Will resume February 11)
February 11, 18, 25
- Youth Praise Team practice – 4:30 p.m.
- Ladies Ensemble practice – 5:15 p.m.
February 7, 14, 21, 28
- Praise Team practice – 6:00 p.m.
- Choir practice – 7:30 p.m.
“Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say, rejoice!”
Jesse Davis, Music Director
Children’s Extended Session Schedule:
- 8:30 Service – Kay & Blake Miller
- 11:00 Service – Cristy, Jordan & Emma Hunt
- 8:30 Service – Caroline & Annie Stroupe
- 11:30 Service – Dan & Harper Senff
- 8:30 Service – Golden Wen, Levi Bear
- 11:00 Service – Paige & Ainslee Wolters
- 8:30 Service – Dale & Michele Fitzgerald
- 11:00 Service – Michele Fitzgerald, Abbey Perry
Nursery Schedule Sunday Mornings:
- 8:30 Service – William & Ruth Todd, Amy Garner, Jill Baxley
- 11:00 Service – Stephanie Thomas, Paulette Chisesi, Paige Wolters, Leah Wood
- 8:30 Service – Susan, Hank & Lydia Credle, Caroline Stroupe
- 11:00 Service – Amy Harris, Cristy, Jordan & Emma Hunt
- 8:30 Service – Rachel Carr, Kim Graham, Amanda & Isabelle Senff
- 11:00 Service – Aaron & Ami Denton, Lori Staples, Glen Cronrath
- 8:30 Service – Becky, Paige & Kendra Strickland, Susan Pearson
- 11:30 Service – Marsha & Anna Apke, Patsy Peele, Lindsay Riney
Nursery Schedule Sunday Evenings:
- February 04 – Lori Staples
- February 11 – Amanda Senff
- February 18 – Paige Wolters
- February 25 – Amy Garner
Nursery Schedule Wednesday Evenings:
- February 07 – Becky Strickland, Stephanie Thomas
- February 14 – Golden Wen, Amy Garner
- February 21 – Claire Ford, Caroline Stroupe
- February 28 – Leah Wood, Amanda Senff